TART Remarks

Protesting the generally accepted influence of religion on everyday life

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Vol. 1 No. 20 – Christmas 2006

Download

Publisher's Note


It’s been a great year!
Personally, I have enjoyed, as I have enjoyed most all of my adult life, the intellectual stimulation of debate with many people…
And the birth of TART Remarks represents, frankly, a high point for me personally. Beware the man with access to technology and something to say!
Is the very great liberty of personal remarks permitted at this time of merriment?
Perhaps.
I must thank a number of people, at the risk of not naming a few that should be named. But here goes…
George Claassen has done more to help me calibrate my baloney detector than anybody that has ever crossed my path. Science savvy and armed with a ready turn of phrase George has zero tolerance with nonsense and remains the nemesis of snake oil sellers!
Ben du Toit is a true friend. Nuff zed.
Jaco Gericke… Jaco Gericke will eventually be known as one of the world’s great Bible scientists.
My friends, known by assumed and real names – ordinary men and women, many of whom I have never even met: Leo West, George Ferreira, André Bartlett, Blouwildebees, Plaaswolfie, evolvefish, Godzilla, Stefan, Sidney, Estian, Theo…
All of those thinkers who are never too busy to take a call, or to reply to an e-mail or sms: Phillip Tobias, Sakkie Spangenberg, Van Zyl Slabbert, Willie van Aardt, Irma Kroese, Christo Lombaard, Hansie Wolmarans, Hennie Viviers, Julian Müller, Jurie le Roux…
(I know, you’re thinking I’m name dropping… exactly what Madiba said the other day.)
Jurie van den Heever and Leon Retief: Always ready to take time to explain when I do not understand. Which is often.
Karl de Pauw for his indefatigable efforts to keep me informed with notes and articles from magazines and sources I have often not even known existed.
Elsabé Brits for sharing her notes with me, her feelings – indispensable in formulating a broad picture.
Jean Oosthuizen, a brave journalist with broad shoulders…
Johannes de Villiers. Always at the ready.
Alida van der Westhuizen – when I am unable to locate a Media24 article or report…
I am engulfed by the Christmas spirit!

Editor's Note

It’s Noel. There – I‘ve given it away. It says so right there on the cover.
Let’s have a chuckle and a laugh. Let’s escape, for a moment, through the back door of merriment, the demands of everyday life.
The leading article this week comes from my book Pun Intended – and do please re-read the advertisement for the book: A new pun is featured.
A number of Christmas quotes dot the pages of this Christmas issue: some funny, some wise and some bordering on crudity. (I’m not completely engulfed by the Christmas spirit!)
There’s an article on our propensity, or lack thereof, for attending church.
And there’s an article on Intelligent Design… yep! The IDiots are at it again. In fact, they’re simply still at it. If ever there was a reason to doubt evolution it is to be found in the improbability of skin evolving to the thickness of that covering Intelligent Designers. Not enough time, see.
O, Jesus and Mo have something to say. About Christmas.
See y’all in 2007! Unless it is announced that the Pope is gay. Say what?

Contents

Publisher’s note

Editor’s note

A Christmas Carol?

Grandparents linked with church-going

Intelligent Design: The God Lab

Tolle lege, tolle lege

The sound of thorns crackling in the fire

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home